Age UK Wandsworth provides minor repairs and adaptions to the patient’s home to prevent falls in the home and to facilitate hospital discharge. We have a team of 250 2 x FTE Handypeople who can undertake small jobs in the home. The types of activity undertaken include:
- Falls prevention and hospital discharge – this is a FREE service – we can supply and fit grab rails, handrails on stairs and keysafes. We can also move furniture, change lightbulbs, curtains, replace broken toilet seats, tape loose rugs, carpets flexes.
- Other repairs – where we charge a subsidised rate of £15 p/hr – we can put up curtain rails, blinds, shelves, fit doorbells, clean windows, assemble small flat-pack furniture, renew bath and shower sealant and set up computers.
Anyone can refer into the service. Please contact the Coordinators, Rhian or Zoe, who will advise on what can be done and will book appointments: email firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. 020 8877 8949.
Hospital Discharge Support
Age UK Wandsworth can provide low-level support for six weeks for those who are in need of light-level help after being discharged from hospital. Our service is provided by volunteers who have been checked and trained to support people.
Volunteers support with:
- Supporting with confidence building, e.g. going for walks
- Providing company and a friendly chat
- Picking up a prescription
- Checking if the house is warm and there is enough food and drink supply for a client
- Light shopping
- Providing information about other services.
- Light support around the house, e.g. taking the rubbish out.
To make a referral or for further information, please contact: Anais , Service Coordinator email@example.com or 0208 877 8956.
Voluntary Sector Navigator
Age UK Wandsworth works with the multi-disciplinary teams in the Community Adult Health Services and provides support to those teams by identifying needs that patients have that can be met by the voluntary sector. We will visit the patient at home to find out what help and support they may require, inform them of what services are available and help to facilitate any referrals to services they may wish to pursue.
The services that we can refer patients to include:
- Handyperson service for small jobs, moving furniture and fitting of key safes
- Mobility aids and equipment e.g. grab rails
- Cleaning and care agencies to help with personal care and cleaning
- The watch alarm and telecare
- Fire service and lock fitting services for safety in the home
- Shopping and transport services
- Counselling for low level mental health
- Bereavement services
- Day activity centres
- Lunch clubs and activities for social interaction to prevent social isolation
- Advice and information services for housing support, benefits, pensions and general advice
Wandsworth GPs and any health or social care professional within CAHS can make referrals. Please contact Charlotte: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 07808 871966.